Monday, March 7, 2016

Read Across America Week!





Hi! I'm Ayn and I am a Ga. Pre-K teacher, serving 4 and 5 year olds in an inclusive setting. I share my classroom adventures on my blog, little illuminations.


One of my favorite weeks to teach is "Read Across America Week". We usually spread this out over two weeks, as there are so many great activities that we just can't fit them all into one week. 

We invite parents, grandparents, babysitters, school administrators and community members to  come in and read. 






We plan lots of fun snacks!




We play fun games that go along with some of the fun books we're reading,  like balancing beanbags when we read "Ten Apples Up On Top"




and balancing all the items from "The Cat In The Hat".


We made oobleck after reading "Bartholomew and the Oobleck". 







We have some really fun themed days to coincide with some of the books we're reading, like hat day to go with "Go, Dog, Go" "500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins"




and Crazy Sock day to go with Fox in Socks.



 Wacky Wednesday, things got pretty wacky in our room! The kids (and teachers) dressed as wacky as we could and there were many wacky things going on in our room, including shoes on the walls, chairs in the wrong places, the calendar was upside down, the flag was out of place and our bathrooms were switched! 



We took the "Read Across America" oath:
(reprinted from the 
Read Across America website)

I promise to read
Each day and each night.
I know it's the key
To growing up right.

I'll read to myself,
I'll read to a crowd.
It makes no difference
If silent or loud.

I'll read at my desk,
At home and at school,
On my bean bag or bed,
By the fire or pool.

Each book that I read
Puts smarts in my head,
'Cause brains grow more thoughts
The more they are fed.

So I take this oath
To make reading my way
Of feeding my brain
What it needs every day.
Debra Angstead, Missouri-NEA

and read the "Read Across America" poem:
(reprinted from the Read Across America website)

You're never too old, too wacky, too wild,
To pick up a book and read with a child.
You're never too busy, too cool, or too hot,
To pick up a book and share what you've got.

In schools and communities,
Let's gather around,
Let's pick up a book,
Let's pass it around.

There are kids all around you,
Kids who will need
Someone to hug,
Someone to read.

Come join us March 3rd
Your own special way
And make this America's
Read to Kids Day.

©Anita Merina

We take our reading seriously--it is serious business and serious fun! I hope that every child that moves up and grows on from my room leaves with a love of learning and a love of books! I read a lot at home and my own children are voracious readers. There is nothing like the adventures found in between the pages of a good book! 

Read on, America! Read on, World! 


 Stop by and visit me anytime at littleilluminations.blogspot.com or visit the little illuminations fanpage on facebook! And be sure to check out PreK+K Sharing EEE!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...