Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Perfect Song for Right Now: "Gifts for Mommy!"

These 3's are holding their "bees" - carefully!
    Spring is…well, it's trying to spring here in Chicago.  Miss Carole of Macaroni Soup here!  With 1.5” of snow on Monday I think the crocus and anemones in my garden would disagree (not to mention the angry squirrels under my empty birdfeeder!  I've been busy, guys!)
     You may be preparing for a Mother’s Day program, or just need a great song to sing for Spring!  I don’t know where I first heard some of these verses – and I’ve added my own at my students’ requests.  It’s easy to learn, easy to teach, and the children love it.  They get the humor, no bees are squished and it’s downright adorable!  
     You probably already know the tune – “I’m Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee!”  If not, it’s on my Sticky Bubble Gum cd – you can hear a clip HERE (track #13) – and it was the Song of the Month on my website in May 2007.
Do you hear your bee? Bzzzz!
    I use Beanie Baby animals for visuals in each verse – you could use pictures or puppets, too.

Verse 1:  Waggle your pointer finger around while buzzing until you catch an imaginary bee.  Check your hands to be sure he’s in there!  Sing:

I’m bringing home a baby bumblebee
Won’t my Mommy be so proud of me!
I’m bringing home a baby bumblebee-
Buzz! Buzz! Buzz! Buzz! Buzz!
Teacher:  Would that be a good present for Mom?
Kids:  NO!
Teacher:  Then let him go – bzzzzzz!  How about a dinosaur?
Stomp! Stomp!


Verse 2:  Pat hands on thighs for dinosaur steps!

I’m bringing home a baby dinosaur
Won’t my Mommy hide behind the door!
I’m bringing home a baby dinosaur –
Stomp! Stomp! Stomp! Stomp Stomp!
Teacher:  Would that be a good present for Mommy?
Kids:   Nooo!
Teacher:  How about a crocodile????

Chomp! Chomp!
Verse 3:  Open and close arms vertically in front of you to the beat to make croc jaws!

I’m bringing home a baby crocodile
Won’t my Mommy wear a great big smile!
I’m bringing home a baby crocodile –
Chomp! Chomp! Chomp! Chomp! Chomp!
Teacher:  Would Mommy like that?
Kids:   NO!
Teacher:  How about a grizzly bear?






Smiling grizzly bears - it's so much fun to growl!
Verse 4:  Make claw-paws.  Teach kids to put teeth together to growl!

I’m bringing home a baby grizzly bear
Won’t my Mommy tear out all her hair?!?
Oh, I’m bringing home a baby grizzly bear –
Grrrr!  Grrrr!  Grrrr! Grrrr! GRRRRR!
Teacher:  Would THAT make a good present form Mom?
Kids:  NOOO!
Teacher:  What if we brought Mom something she would really like?  Can you think of what your Mommy likes?  I’ve got a great big pot (hold out arms, hands touching in front, to make a big pot.)  What can we put in it that Mom would like?   (take all suggestions – flowers, kisses, chocolate, salad, noodles – yes, it usually includes things the children like, too!)  After all ideas are in, sing:

Verse 5:  Everyone holds a big “pot” in front of them.

I’m bringing home a great big pot of love
So much bigger than the sky above!
Oh, I’m bringing home a great big pot of love –

Hug, hug, kiss, kiss, kiss!
Teacher:  Would Mommy like that?
Kids:   YES!!!

    I have done a ladybug verse (won’t my Mommy give me a big hug?) and even done Daddy verses!  Have fun with this song – all year long!

Yours for a Mommy Song!
"Miss Carole" Stephens

4 comments:

  1. Super cute! It is the perfect song for my class to sing this to their mom's at our Mother's Day tea party! Thank you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Shelli! With gestures, it's a surefire hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! My kids love those songs that we can switch around to use their ideas!! Thanks for sharing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! Yes - nothing like a great zipper song - zip in a new animal and its sound, and you can make lots of verses! Keep singing!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...